The Student Newspaper Site of Albert Gallatin High School

The AG Colonial

The AG Colonial

The AG Colonial

Red Ribbon Week

What is Red Ribbon Week? What value does Red Ribbon week have in order for the public actually care? What lessons does Red Ribbon week have to offer? More importantly, what is the in depth message Red Ribbon week has that can be meaningful? For what can we ponder on the lessons Red ribbon week shares?

The Origin of Red Ribbon Week. “The Red Ribbon

Just like trying to gain understanding of an art, a movement, a way of life and so on, to really gain an understanding of Red Ribbon week to its fullest, we must dig down to the deepest of its roots in order to learn the deepest of lessons, as for the way of in depth learning is the resolute focus of adaptive effort.

Enrique “Kiki” Camarena was a Drug Enforcement Administration Agent who was captured, tortured, leading onward to his unfortinate death, leaving his body, yet preserving his honor.

Regrettably, Camarena’s cause of death was a result of the torture he endured during his captivity. After enduring this inhuman torture, Camarena was eventually killed.
This took place in Guadalajara- Mexico in 1985, February 7th

Camarena’s death had a profound impact on law enforcement efforts against drug trafficking organizations. Camarena’s sacrifice, dedication and loyalty will continue to be remembered, and his death serves as a reminder of the risks and dangers faced by law enforcement officers in the pursuit of justice. As for his resolve, inspiring others to develop theirs.

It was through this tragedy that gave way to a countless number of individuals honoring Camarena’s death, and in honor of his death and memory, his battle agienst illegal drugs, friends and neighbors began to wear red badges of satin.  Then, a countless number of individuals began to form coalitions using Camarena as their model while embracing his belief that one person can make a difference. And it was through his loyalty and ambition, Camarena, even long after his death, proven this to be true.   These coalitions adopted the symbol of Camarena’s memory, The Red Ribbon.

Today, the Red Ribbon serves as a catalyst to mobilize communities to educate youth and encourage participation in drug prevention activities.

Red Ribbon Week in Albert Gallatin Highschool.

The Red Ribbon Campaign is the oldest and largest drug prevention program in the nation, reaching millions of young people.  In Fayette County, the main mission for the Red Ribbon Campaign is to present a unified and visible commitment towards a drug-free community.

Red Ribbon Week is held every year from October 23rd to October 31st. During Red Ribbon Week, it’s a time to stand proud and celebrate a drug free lifestyle. Fayette County Drug and Alcohol Commission appreciates those who help celebrating each year. FCDAC provides red ribbons to every public and private school in Fayette County, businesses, and organizations throughout the county. It’s not just our school that does this, yet also many wonderful businesses and other schools both here and around the world.

What is drug free? What is the habbit of drugs? Why does it effect our lives?

Using drugs can be a good thing to heal a sickness, or to save someones life. However these types of drugs along with many other drugs including illegal drugs are abused for fulfilling the sake of ones own desire.  This bad habit creates a worse and worse life style, and even if it doesn’t at first, over time the little things will change, and then that leads to the bigger changes. Yet can we really be focusing on just drug prevention? Isn’t other bad habits similar to the habit of taking a lot of drugs?

The thing is, see drug as a poison if used wrongly. In a way, overeating, being on a screen far too long, drinking too much soda, overly smoking and much more are just like constantly taking unhealthy drugs. As both having the habit of taking drugs, and the habit of normalized every day living that may be wrongly effecting your life brings the same effect drugs do in the end and in the long run. Taking drugs effects your life overtime, or on the spot depending on how you use them. And it can effect you either for the better or for the worse, this however is your choice. So instead of just thinking of drug prevention during Red Ribbon Week—, also think of bad habit prevention as there is no drug prevention without ignoring the habit of it. And so the habit is the root cause of it all- and to prevent it- you must prevent the root cause.  And with this, you learn to hit two birds with one stone. However the gracefulness of that hit depends on how willing you are to change both the outer world and yourself, as for ambition and resolve do you part from many.